Monday, June 9

Monday Mornings

i start my monday mornings by running at least 4 miles, i come back around 6:15 am turn on the computer and check e-mail and blogs and then I usually make a new post! If i am lucky the kids will still be sleeping and i can post some thoughts. The past couple weeks I have been trying to at least make a lunch for my hubby before i turn on the computer ;) I've been needing to do better about that! I would like to share some thoughts from Sarah Breathnach this morning that i think is very fitting for how i feel after the weekend has ended and how i feel for the start of a new monday/week. I usually have a sink full of dishes to do on monday mornings and lots of cleaning! Fun Fun NOT :) Here is proof my friends that my sink actually has dirty dishes in it.

Here is what Sarah has shared in her book 'Simple Abundance'
Getting your house in order
My life will always have dirty dishes.
If this sink can become
a place of contemplation,
let me learn constancy here
-Gunilla Norris
leftover spinach that was not eaten ;) If only i could accept the fact that my life will ALWAYS have dirty dishes, the repetitive tasks of chores could possibly become more bearable. Maybe i need to have an affirmation about "I will always be washing dirty dishes" Maybe it will become easier! Is any of this making sense? Does anyone else feel this way?
O.K so Sarah continues writing and says this "Because we dread it, we put it off for as long as possible until we have to dig ourselves out. Many women approach the unrelenting, repetitive, exhausting, and unproductive work known as housekeeping like the torture of Sisyphus. After offending the greek god Zeus, Sisyphus was punished by having to roll an enormous stone to the top of a steep hill. Every time he managed to pull off this feat, the stone would slide back down and the poor soul would have to start over again. Women do the same thing, Simone de Beauvoir observed in her book "The clean becomes soiled, the soiled is made clean, over and over, day after day."
O.K I remember taking mythology and learning about Sisyphus and that is a perfect way to describe housekeeping :) The thought of just picturing me trying to push a stone up a hill made me laugh because that is how i feel cleaning my house day after day and especially trying to keep a clean house with kids!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Sarah Breathnachs thoughts, I can relate in a lot of ways. Then shes writes this about getting your house in order "Prayer and housekeeping - - they go together. They have always gone together. We simply know that our daily round is how we live. When we clean and order our homes, we are somehow also cleaning and ordering ourselves." Gunilla Norris tells us in her modern book of hours, Being Home. How we care for our home is a subtle but significant expression of self-esteem.
I agree with that too "daily work, including housework needs to become a sacred art"
Lots of food for thought!!
Cleaning, washing dishes, laundry are on my to do list for TODAY
One of my many goals in life is to not feel like Sisyphus while doing housework!
Here is a picture of Penny, monday mornings my kids are usually in there PJS until at least 11 am :) and Penny loves to unload all my utensils and play with them under the kitchen island while I do dishes and then I take the utensils she has been playing with and toss them into the dishwasher too.


HAPPY MONDAY

"Let me learn constancy"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You do have dirty dishes! I am so proud of you! I am doing the same at my house today. Good luck with your chores. I loved your post this morning, I am going to think about it as I do my 10 loads of laundry!

wilfordfamily2003 said...

Thanks Staci. I actually got brave and cleaned my bathrooms yesterday. I don't usually neglect them but morning sickness and the bathrooms just don't mix well, though I am feeling better and it is a nice feeling after I'm all done.
You have an amazing schedule with those early morning runs. Do you take a nap in the afternoon?

Staci Rocha said...

Hi Mindi

I hope your morning sicknes goes away soon!!

You know when I first started running i would be tired and need a nap but running actually helps give more energy and occasionally i will need a nap. It depends if i get 8 hours of sleep ;)