Tuesday, April 22

Making Peace with your hair :)

We all have days when we scream "I've got to do something with my hair" I am having one of those days, I have unruly hair and I am ready to chop it off and do something drastic. I have not grown out my hair for a long time and I am trying to let it grow long. I don't know if i will make it!

Sarah Breathnach has this written in her book " A woman's hair has for centuries been called her "crowning glory," but every woman I know speaks of her intimate relationship with her hair as a nightmare. I don't know any woman personally who really loves her hair, just women who cope. Hair is a living, powerful, mercurial, metaphysical energy force to be respected, reckoned with, and reconciled to, but it can not be controlled any more than atomic fusion. Occasionally, it can be cajoled into becoming conduct (we refer to these lapses as "good hair days") but it can never be coerced. Think of all the money, time, creative energy, and emotion we invest in our hair. Yet most of the time it insists on expressing its authenticity, not necessarily ours. I don't know about you, but I'm exhausted from the mini skirmishes I wage with life every day, and the battle with my hair is not the least of them. . . .above all, learning to accept your hair is part of the process of learning to love yourself. The poet Marianne Moore believed that "Your thorns are the best part of you" and she was right.


I don't know if i agree with 'our thorns being the best part' but I am going to try and make peace with my hair today and hopefully I won't take a pair of scissors to my hair :)

1 comment:

Curtis and Deedra said...

I know exactly what you mean. I'm also trying to grow my hair out but am on the verge of wanting to cut it off! But maybe I'll just add some highlights, trim it up, relayer it and call it good. Nice to know I'm not the only one who has a hard time with hair! Sometimes I wish I could shave it all off but that wouldn't look very flattering now would it.